“Golden-toned principal horn, Alberto Menéndez Escribano, played this movement superbly, standing beside his section as if performing a concerto.”
- Backtrack Review – BBCSSO – Mahler 5
It was then the chance for principal horn Alberto Menendez Escribano to shine on Mozart’s Fourth Horn Concerto. The tone and flow of his playing had exactly the balance of virtuosity and feel for ensemble that the composer surely intended.
The highlight of the evening was Richard Strauss’ Horn Concerto No. 1, The soloist Alberto Menéndez gave an outstanding performance, from the aggression of the opening to some beautifully lyrical playing in the second movement to the boisterously agile hunting horn theme of the final movement.
- “Principal horn Alberto Menéndez Escribano shaped his famous solo beautifully, seeming to take great care of the ends of notes as much as the attack.”
- “I remember being impressed by Alberto Menéndez Escribano, the orchestra’s new Principal Horn, with the Gustav Mahler Jugendorchester a few years ago, and he led his section with great authority tonight.”
- “Gareth Davies’ haunting flute solos in the final song were matched by an excellent section of horns led by Alberto Menéndez Escribano”
- “After Alberto Menéndez’s distinguished, exquisitely softly-handled account of the third movement’s horn solo…”